SEALING YOUR ROCKS






After all the work you put into painting your rocks, you want to make sure they last!  Hopefully this post will give you a few good choices of sealants to choose from.


My preferred sealants are brush on sealants.  I do not like the spray can fumes.    Brush on sealants are safer than spray on sealants. Safer for your health and for the environment.

Here are 4 brush on sealants that I have used and they all work great! All 4 of these sealants are:

• Low in odor and can be safely used indoors to seal
• Dries clear with no yellowing
• Cleans up easily with soap and water
• Can be used to protect rocks hidden/displayed outdoors
• Can be applied with a regular paint brush or a foam brush


1.  Behr Or Valspar WetLook Stone Sealer

I recently discovered Behr Wetlook Stone Sealer  at Home Depot and have begun using it. I love it!  The person who introduced me to it has been teaching paint workshops for years.  He has been using the Behr Wetlook on his rocks for over 5 years now.  He said all his outside garden rocks look wonderful still after 5 years of rain and sun.

This sealant gives a really good protective seal over the rock that you can clearly see and feel. It feels like a little rubbery rain coat is placed over the rock.  It also gives the rock a nice shine and makes the rock very smooth. And it is generally cheaper than the water based polyurethane and Duraclear per ounce. You get a whole GALLON (128 ounces) for about $30.00. A gallon will last you a very, very long time! 

A gallon of Wetlook  equals 16 (8 oz) bottles of Duraclear.  Duraclear costs about $8.00 a bottle.... so that would be $128.00 for the same amount of sealant.  $30.00 or $128.00???  I'll take a gallon of Wetlook for $30.00 thank you!



Valspar also makes a similar formula that fellow rockers have told me works wonderful too. It's called Valspar Clear Wet Look Gloss Waterproofer.


Both Behr and Valspar Stone sealers are specially formulated to seal stone/rock for outdoor protection. These sealants are designed to seal both bare natural stone and painted stone. It protects the stone from rain, stains, sun, and salt.



I use 2 coats of the Behr Wetlook Sealer for my rocks. It goes on smooth and a little goes a long way! It protects beautifully. It dries clear with no yellowing.  It has low odor and can be used indoors when sealing.  It cleans up easily with soap and water.

Follow the instructions on the back of the bottle. Generally you apply one coat and allow 4 hours or more to dry. Then apply the second coat. It applies very nicely with a foam brush.

Both Behr and Valspar Wetlook sealants are gloss finish.



NOTE: I purchased an airtight glass jar at the dollar store to store the Behr Wetlook Sealant in.  It is easier to open and close and dip the brush into.






2.  Water Based Polyurethane




Water-Based Polyurethane is a great brush on sealant. I used the triple thick formula for a long time. I applied 2 coats and it gave me 6 coats worth of protection! Varthane and Rustoleum were the brands I used and they work great. My rocks still looked great after months of being outdoors in the rain.

This sealant has very little odor and can be safely used indoors. It dry clear with no yellowing and it cleans up easily with soap and water. You can find them at your local hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart. In my area, it costs about $13.00-15.00 for a 32 ounce can. And it goes a long way. When purchasing polyurethane make sure to get the water-based formula and NOT the oil based formula. The oil base is hard to work with, it has a strong odor, and is hard to clean up. It should clearly state on the front or back of the can that it is water-based.

Water-based Polyurethane comes in different finishes: matte, satin, semi-gloss, and gloss. It can be easily applied with a foam brush. It usually takes 2 hours to dry in between coats. Check the directions to see drying time.


NOTE: I purchased an airtight glass jar at the dollar store to store the polyurethane in.  It is easier to open and close and dip the brush into.







3.  Duraclear





I used Duraclear for the first month that I started rock painting.  I liked the product only it was VERY pricey in my area.  About $8.00 for an 8 ounce bottle.  I looked into the product and discovered that Duraclear was just a "water based polyurethane" poured into a cute little craft bottle.

If you like Duraclear and want to use it, go for it!  It is a great product.  It's low odor, dries clear and cleans up easy with soap and water.  And the best part is.... it seals your rocks beautifully.

If you are going to be hiding or displaying your rock outdoors, than you will want to use at least 3 coats of Duraclear on each side that is painted. Be sure to follow the usage and drying instructions on the back of the bottle/jar.  Duraclear comes in several different finishes: matte, satin, semi-gloss, gloss and high gloss. You can find Duraclear at your local Craft store and on Amazon.




4.  Liquitex Professional High Gloss Varnish



This Sealer offers a very high gloss, almost glass like finish.  It is more expensive than the ones listed above.  It's about $15 for an 8 ounce bottle.  I use this mostly for special gifts and indoor decor because of the price.  However, it is safe to use for outdoor rocks too.   I don't like to use Resin, so this is the closest sealer I have found to that glass like shine!  I use 3 coats applied with a foam brush.  

There are other several finishes  available - matte, satin, gloss and high gloss.  The HIGH GLOSS is the one that offers a glass like shine.  





A Word About Mod Podge




Mod Podge is basically glue with a small amount of a glossy sealant in it.  However Mod Podge is not waterproof.  So I do not recommend using it for an outdoor sealant.  Mod Podge is a great sealant for indoor rock art and other indoor projects.

I do use Mod Podge on rocks that I used paint pens on.  After the paint has completely dried, I apply one layer of Mod Podge to the painted side before sealing the rock.  The Mod Podge protects the paint pens from the sealant so it doesn't smear/run and ruin the design.

I also use Mod Podge to glue tags/labels on the back of my rocks.  I put down a layer of mod podge on the back of the rock and the back of the tag/label.  Then press the tag firmly down onto the rock and smooth out the tag/label.  Then I apply a layer of mod podge over the entire tag/label.  I let it completely dry about 30 minutes or longer and then apply a second coat.  After the second coat dries, I then seal my entire rock including the backside with the tag/label.



HOW TO SEAL YOUR ROCKS


1. Allow the paint to completely dry before sealing. I usually let my rocks dry several days before sealing.

2. If you used a paint pen on your rock, you will want to apply a layer of Mod Podge OR white glue (like Elmers white school glue or Dollar Store White School Glue) over the rock. This will protect the paint pen from running/smearing when you seal it. Simply brush on a layer over the entire painted surface with a brush or foam brush. Allow it to dry an hour or longer before sealing.

3. Now it's time to seal. Pick a safe place to seal them.  Safe from children, animals, and rain.  Simply brush on a thin layer of the sealant using a paint brush or a foam brush over the rock. I use foam brushes as they apply a nice coat evenly without brush strokes and are easy to clean afterwards. Allow the rock to dry completely before applying a second or third coat.

4. If you painted both sides of your rock, you can then flip it over after all coats have been applied and dried. Then begin sealing the other side.

5. Be sure to wash out your brush/foam brush with warm soapy water immediately after use or it will ruin the brush.

TIP: You may want to wear disposable plastic gloves while sealing to protect your hands. Sealants can be difficult to wash off your hands and it protects your skin from the chemicals. You can pick some up at the Dollar Store of Walmart cheaply. Make sure they are POWDER-FREE!



HAPPY SEALING!